Helpful Hints for Keeping Your Home Safe Against Burglary
Written by: Mirah Lucas
Whether or not we’re home, we all want that peace of mind that everything is all right. Here are some helpful tips on being vigilant:
- Use the locks on all doors and windows.
- Make sure that your security systems are working and that they have batteries and that installed light bulbs are working.
- Be cautious of who you give your keys to, since keys can be easily copied.
- Don’t leave a spare key outside your home. Instead, give it to a neighbor.
- Don’t publicize your vacations (your absence from your home!) on social media.
- Don’t advertise valuables- break up packaging for expensive new gear before throwing it into the trash or recycling.
Take a look at your house from the outside and put yourself in the shoes of the thief: What can you see that you’d like the steal?
- Don’t let your mail pile up in your mailbox or the front of the house while away on vacation. Plan for a neighbor or friend to collect it for you.
- Store valuables, such as money and jewelery, in a locked safe.
- Mark valuable items inside with an engraver or ultra-violet pen. In case they’re stolen, they could be returned to you.