Keyless Locks Versus a Regular Deadbolt
Written by: Mirah Lucas
With all of this new technology on the rise, you might have been wondering about keyless locks and whether they’re right for you. Believe it or not, the bolts in keyless locks and deadbolts are essentially the same. However, if you go keyless, you might find it more convenient than the deadbolt.
Some benefits of keyless locks include:
- Some systems lock automatically a few seconds after you leave.
- You don’t risk someone finding a key you’ve hidden outside.
- Some link to Blue tooth so you can operate the lock via a smartphone or tablet app.
- It’s easy to change codes, and you can set temporary ones that expire after a designated time.
- Weather can affect how they function; they might not perform well after prolonged exposure to extreme heat, sun or cold.
Some things to consider before committing to a keyless lock system:
- You’ll need to change the battery about once a year.
- Someone could observe the numbers you input and learn your code.
- If you don’t change your code periodically, affected keys can wear down, increasing the chance of someone guessing the code.
Keyless locks are also more expensive than traditional deadbolts. Expect to pay $30 to $50 to install a traditional deadbolt, and $150 to $250 for a keyless version. Prices vary depending on brand and quality.
When hiring an installer, consider an experienced locksmith like Pop-A-Lock Jacksonville. We can help you spot defects like sagging hinges and other potential problems.
Perhaps not having to remember where your keys are sounds liberating? It might sound like an attractive option to parents whose kids frequently lose house keys. However, keyless systems are battery-operated and could fail if a battery isn’t changed in time. Fortunately, most systems provide a key override. These are just a few things to think about if you’re considering foregoing the traditional deadbolt with a multilock system and going keyless.
If you’d like more information about key installation, we at Pop-A-Lock Jacksonville will be glad to help in any way we can. Give us a call at 904-354-8566.